Policy is always written in a historical context; that is, shaped by the norms, values, ideas, and attitudes of it authors and the public at the time it was written. Identify a federal, state, or local policy related to your assigned field work/assignment. Study the history of the policy, review newspaper accounts, conduct personal interviews, and use other resources to determine what conditions may have influenced its authors. Discuss the impact of the policy on the assigned field agency, its program structure, and operations. Determine how those factors may have changed since the policy was written and whether the policy has been amended to accommodate those changes. The written assessment should be 3-5 pages in length, double-spaced, and in APA format. Include 3 or more resources to support historical context. Includes connections to social impact across time and geographic location. Issues to be considered in your assessment:
• What problem was that policy originally designed to address?
• What was the first policy written at a federal level regarding this problem?
• How was that policy shaped by the norms and values of the American people at that time?
• How effective was the policy in addressing the problem at the time?
• Does the policy effectively address the problem today? If not, why not?
• What subsequent policies have been developed at the federal, state, or local level to address this problem?
• How does the policy impact the agency’s program and service provision? • Describe the intent of the policy and how its shaped the program and/or unintended results.
• Do the policies effectively address the problem today? If not, why not?
• Do the policies seem likely to effectively address the problem in the future? If not, why not?