Many of you are likely familiar with the American convenience store chain Wawa. The assignment is to propose Wawa in the Philippines. This proposal will consist of four primary sections: an introduction/executive summary, a legal/political/economic analysis, a cultural/social analysis, and a proposed entry strategy. The broad goal is to present a compelling case as to why Wawa should enter the Philippine market and why it would be successful.
1. An introduction/executive summary. You should use this section to “summarize & pitch” why the Philippines was selected and why you think it is a good fit for Wawa. This section should also contain a brief competitive analysis to support your argument.
2. A cultural and social analysis. In this section you should analyze elements of the country’s culture as they are relevant to Wawa’s business and potential market entry. While not a comprehensive list, some of the elements that might be included here are:
• General information (location, climate, topography, history)
• Language, Religions, Religious influence
• Customs and Traditions (food, drink, habits, manners, hygiene, myths, etc)
• Cultural Dimensions (Hall, Hofstede, Core Values, Norms, Attitudes)
• Aesthetics, Business Customs, Social Institutions
3. A political/legal/economic analysis. In this section you should analyze these elements of the business environment in the context of how they may help/hinder Wawa’s entry to the market. While not a comprehensive list, some of the elements that might be included here are:
• Population, growth, age, density, distribution
• Income, distribution of wealth, inflation
• International Trade
• Natural Resources
• Regulations, local content laws, labeling/packaging, labor
• Relations with other countries, tariffs, quotas intellectual property
4. Details of your proposed entry strategy. In this section you should pitch how you propose Wawa can successfully enter the market you have selected. This section should have particular focus on what adaptations Wawa may need to make when entering the market (think store and menu adjustments), how they will be successfully positioned in the market, and any other details to make the argument that Wawa can successfully enter the market you have